Friday, December 9, 2011

Out Out damn Son

Following up with "I'm Angry" this really REALLY set me off. 



A frined of mine who gives his time & rescoures to help others even though his are limted wrote this and this is NOT the first time he's been there for people


I was just asked to help a young man who found out recently that he is HIV positive navigate the system. Seems that when he found out and told his mother, she kicked him out of the house. He is staying with friends but has been traumatized by this. He was also beaten by his brothers when he came out as being gay. It is horrible to think that anyone would have to deal with this in this day and age. Luckily he is staying with friends and is safe.
One comment was:
It saddens me that we as human beings are so judgmental and so cruel. Only when we can look past our differences will we ever be truly free.
One more:
I have never understood how being gay makes you less of a family member. I have never denied you as my brother and I am very open about you being gay. That would be like you denying me for being a housewife. We are who we are
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Much like what happened  in Hershey PA this happened right here in Ft Lauderdale where being gay is not out of the norm and Broward CO has a high HIV prevalence.  
How can we all work & live together? By living with love & compassion. By being HUMAN
Dan Pallotta said it best "Human Knd: Be Both"

Years ago, I helped a young man in the same situation. Jason Wonder was living in  a nice home with a caring (so he thought) family just north of Chicago. When his mom found out he was  gay she said "Leave with what you can carry in one trip & don't even take your last name!"   
Not too long after counting on friends to couch serf and then finding work while going to collage, Jason contacted HIV. That's when we met.  He was strong, smart and understood life: Not bad for a 22 yr old guy living on his own.
Five years after we met (we lost track of each other) his partner called me after searching far & wide since I moved three times in those five years saying Jason was very ill and could I see him
At the hospital, his family was there (not having any contact due to thier part, not his) and were keeping Jason's B/F and buddies out of the room.  I didn't stand for that & pointed out he's an adult and didn't want his mom there but his friends & me

Theres more to the story but its too much like what I read today. Im sure it happens all over each day and that's a shame
We are your brothers, sisters, dads & sons.  Teachers & students- YOUR NEIGHBOR
  

No comments:

Post a Comment